Sunday, November 14, 2010

July 2, 2010

I was nervous about Andrews 1 year anniversary.  I wanted to honor him, do something perfect for him.  Many ideas came to mind, but in the end we kept it simple...and it was perfect.  As the time grew closer, I got out his memory box.  I reread all of the cards I recieved, and held a few pieces of clothes I packed away for him.  The hospital gave me a memory box with a hand and foot mold of his, as well as a little bag with some of his hair.  His hair.  It was perfect.  Something physical that I could touch.  I treasure that hair. 

July 2, 2010, was a Friday.  St Marks has a daily morning mass in the Chapel.  The mass was being said in Andrews name.  I invited my immediate family (which takes up half the chapel).  I also invited Nurse Carol, the nurse who helped deliver Andrew and Joseph.  A few of my dearest friends, Colleen, Laura, and Christine (Gill) were there as well. 

After the mass we all walked to the memorial garden behind the chapel.  Father Pat came and said a nice prayer.  There were so many times the past year when I thought about the first anniversary, and how, God given, I would be standing there with a healthy baby in my arms.  And I was.  My Joseph is my little miracle.  A true gift from God.

We then all wrote messages on balloons and released them.  We brought light blue and dark blue balloons for everyone to release, with cream color balloons from Adam, Katelyn, Joseph and I.  Adam also picked up burgendy and gold balloons to send to his little Redskins fan. 

Afterwards, we went back to my parents house for a lunch time BBQ.  I wanted to use the day to have the cousins play, sit on the back porch, and enjoy each others company.  I want to always use July 2 as a day where Adam and I set everything else aside and enjoy time with our family and each other.  The weather was perfect, and as the kids played, a white butterfly followed them around.  Adam and I seperately noticed this butterfly and talked about it later in the day. 

Once everyone left, we took a long nap.  That evening we headed to the beach.  I felt such a weight off of my shoulders.  I had done it.  I had made it through the first year.



























No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!

Even if you don't have an account, you can still leave a comment. Just choose the "anonymous" from the dropdown menu. If you do it that way, please be sure to include your name in the actual comment. Thanks!