Tuesday, March 23, 2010

gbs update

I heard from the Dr’s office yesterday. My latest round of tests show that I have Group B Strep. This time it showed up in the urine. Of pregnant woman who carry GBS, only about 5% “are so heavily colonized that Group B Strep can be cultured from the mother's urine”. In other words, more than I had before. So, I started a new antibiotic today. The last one I was on upset my stomach so much that by day 10, I was throwing up. For most women, a positive GBS culture would mean antibiotics at delivery. That’s when the baby is at risk. For the few “special cases”, GBS can pass through the membrane walls and into the amniotic sac. That’s what happened with Andrew. GBS got to Andrew and the placenta, he couldn’t fight it, it turned into GBS Sepsis, and he passed away. I feel like right now, even as I sit and type this, I am at the same risk. I sit here, GBS positive, with a history of GBS passing through the membrane walls causing a stillbirth. As much as the antibiotic makes me want to throw up, I can’t wait to take the next dose.

2 comments:

  1. Whew... I know Andrew is in heaven looking down on you and hoping... and praying that everything turns out alright. Kerry I think of you constantly and how beautifully you have carried this baby boy... I know you have freaked out some but man you seem so strong to keep going.. Our little boys are busy right know huh? Talk to you soon...

    Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry, I am PRAYING that the Dr.s are able to use the right drugs to keep it under control. Are you doing "kick counts"?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!

Even if you don't have an account, you can still leave a comment. Just choose the "anonymous" from the dropdown menu. If you do it that way, please be sure to include your name in the actual comment. Thanks!