Monday, October 5, 2009

again

It happened today again. It comes in different versions, usually when I'm in the dumps already. "How many kids do you have?" Today it came as "Is she your only one?"

I was at the park watching Katelyn play with a little boy about 12 months old...in the wobble as he walks stage. I love and hate watching her play with little boys. I know she would / will be a great big sister. She needs a sibling around, that's for sure. So, as I was feeling sorry for myself and for Katelyn the mother asks "is she your only one?" As much as I didn't feel like chatting at that moment in time, I can never not mention Andrew. To say I only have one child is to answer as if Andrew never existed. I simple can't do that. So I told her. I'm sure I ruined the 'chatting with a stranger in the park mood', but it helped my mood.

It made me feel better to know that one more person knows about my son.

3 comments:

  1. Kerry...that is beautiful, and I am so glad you responded that way. Andrew is your son, no matter where he is! Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if it will help or not, but when my aunt was asked that she always said "No, I have one in heaven too"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always hate getting the question "do you have any siblings?" and I never realized until Chris died how frequent it comes up in "getting to know you conversation." Almost always I say yes I have a brother. But then sometimes, they go on to ask questions... On occasion when I'm feeling crummy and not wanting to deal, I just say "No" and then I immediately feel bad. But I know that Chris would understand that it doesn't mean I don't love him. I like the response I have "one in heaven"

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!

Even if you don't have an account, you can still leave a comment. Just choose the "anonymous" from the dropdown menu. If you do it that way, please be sure to include your name in the actual comment. Thanks!