Monday, December 28, 2009

three years

Three years ago today I was in labor.  All day.  Katelyn wasn't born until after midnight, so her birthday is tomorrow, but I remember being in labor all day, the 28th.  It's amazing what having a child can do to you, becoming a parent.  I don't need to get into how thankful I am for Katelyn, and just how much I love her, I know that she knows. 

What I am thinking about on this birthday is how innocent I was, assuming that I made it that far, I would be going home with baby in hand.  I was Group B Strep positive with Katelyn.  When I went into labor the Dr gave me an IV antibiotic to prevent her from getting GBS during delivery.  That was that, I didn't think about it again.  

Goodness, was I naive!!! 

I had no idea just how dangerous and scary GBS can be.  I had no idea that it would take the life of my next child.   I had no idea.  I had no idea.

1 comment:

  1. Kerry,
    I didn't find out about the GBS until I saw AM over the Christmas holiday. My heart sank at the news. Like a heavy rock. I too tested positive for GBS, with my now 4 yr old daughter and my 6 month old son. And like you, I never realized how dangerous GBS could be. I was so worried about the antibiotics to treat it because I had a nasty skin reaction following my daughter's birth. My son - who was born the second week of July - came so quickly that the drs didn't have time to give me anything. We stayed in the hospital the full 48 hours in order to get his test results back. Praise God he was okay. But my heart aches for you - especially now knowing the full truth of Andrew's passing. I think of you often and try to check your blog frequently. May God protect you and your littlest one. You are in my prayers. Carrie L.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!

Even if you don't have an account, you can still leave a comment. Just choose the "anonymous" from the dropdown menu. If you do it that way, please be sure to include your name in the actual comment. Thanks!